Friday, June 12, 2009

Batman: Arkham Asylum

One of the games I was really looking forward to seeing at E3 this year was the new Batman game Arkham Asylum. The game was practically everywhere on the show floor (i.e. Sony, Eidos, WB).

From what I could tell, the game looked almost complete. The gameplay was focused around a mix of action and stealth mechanics. The game’s visuals (from the level I saw) were pretty desaturated and bland, which was a bit disappointing because I am getting pretty worn out on gray visuals. The combat and combos seemed fluid, but the moves themselves were more reminiscent of slow motion. I would have rather seen the character’s animations move faster and have more snap than feel like Batman was moving through molasses. The other point that bothered me a bit was the camera. It was very poppy during combat and it could get annoying during fight sequences in its current state.

Even though my initial impression left me slightly underwhelmed, I will continue to look for this game when it comes out and decide if I should invest in it after I read some reviews. Like many gamers, I have been waiting for a good game to hit the shelves with this license, but tend to be continuously let down. I guess we shall see.

In the mean time, check out this pic I took of the Collectors’ Edition of the game. Looks like you get a Batarang (which was massive btw) along with a case, a journal and a few other odds and ends. Not sure I will buy it myself, but I thought I would share it with everyone nonetheless.

And below you can see that they also had the Batmobile at the show. Not too shabby.

No comments:

Post a Comment